Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Wal-Mart

So yesterday morning I finish all of my things by like, 9:30 or so and decide to break down and call Wal-Mart about that interview. For all I know, they've hired thirty people by now and don't need me. But luck was on my side (dubious, dubious luck) and they seemed very pleased to hear from me. In an excited voice the Personnel woman asked,

"So! When would you be available to come in for an interview".
Well . . . this week I have exactly zero plans.
"Would today be good for you?!"
Uh. . . okay.
"When's the earliest you can get here?!"
11:00?
"No problem! We'll be waiting for you!"

So I hurry home and change (feeling that a tank top would be inappropriate for an interview) and get to Wal-Mart early, browsing the magazines, remembering how stupid I was for not bringing socks up here even though I knew that I'd be working all the time. It's finally time, and a Layaway girl leads me through this maze of boxes and stock that is the underbelly of the Mart. It finally leads to a dingy room with computers and a big table in the middle that is this huge impediment to anyone walking around.

The only thing that I had to do as I was waiting for this mystery Tabitha was listen to a young retarded man being chastised for stealing money from the Children's Miracle Network box and giving it away to people. His response was that the money was for children, so he gave it to any that passed by.

Anyway, I had to go through three freaking rounds of interviews. I had no idea they were so thorough. Staff associate Tabitha asked me 'situational' questions. Associate manager Debbie asked me 'hypothetical' questions. Manager-manager Howie didn't really seem to care and was more concerned with how the quarterback was faring.

So he was punching things into a complicated computer system regarding me being hired, and it comes up to the salary page. Awesome. He tells me that the base pay at Wal-Mart is something like $6.40 an hour. Not great, but almost a dollar more than Carmike, at least. Then he says that since I'm working in a 'skilled' position (meaning that cashiers have skillz) that I receive an extra 40 cents an hour. Woo! THEN he tells me that since I've worked at the same company for three years, I am entitled to an additional $1.30. So, working at Wal-Mart gets me $8.10 an hour. That's like, time and a half what I make at Carmike. I wonder how crappy this job is that they need to pay people that much just to beep and boop merchandise. We'll have to find out.

I'm scheduled for my pee drug test in half an hour. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home