Friday, June 02, 2006

Malltime

I was quite popular today. Laura and I went Century-Three shopping, under the pretext of looking for Prom shoes and accessories but really all I bought were several shirts and underwear. We were looking around the As Seen on TV! store when the Indian guy at the counter started gesturing. We walked over and saw he was holding this fake-looking deck of cards in his hand, telling us to pull out the bottom one. I hesitantly touched the card and was immediately shocked. Wow. That's such a great trick. Really impressive. He then offered up this ideal of joke perfection to Laura, who had just seen what happened, but had to touch it anyway. Oh. She got shocked as well. How surprising. I guess, though, working in a ASoTV store at 2:30 on a Thursday afternoon could lower anyone's standards of entertainment.


Oh! As we were walking past the kiosks parked in the middle of the mall, one of the vendors started asking us if we ever got fake nails put on.

Um, do we look like cheap trailer trash? Was my ill-fitting tube top hiked up above my protruding stomach? Was my overdue-dyejob-hair pulled back into a sloppy bun? Were my flip-flops thrip-thropping behind me? Was I trailing a flock of whining children of various ages and paternity? Hmm, no. We replied in the negative, and he kept badgering us over to try some sort of . . . hand cream? Nail polish? No idea? We kept walking, clearly not interested in the wares he was hacking, and he continued to heckle us over to try his product. Sheesh!


Oh, again. Coming out of the underwear store (which was pretty fantastic), there was a priest, a really fat friar (in brown robes and everything!) and a regular guy walking past. It looked like the beginning of a really bad joke. I wonder what they were doing just crusing the mall.


While at Rob's, we caught the last half-hour or so of the Junior Spelling Bee that was on. Good lord! These kids were all under 15 and none of the words were English! I couldn't believe the letters that were spilling out of their mouths. They had Hawaiian words, a lot of German, Sanskrit! One of the words was a French verb! I thought that the Spelling Bee, while having some obscurities, was composed of the English language only. Apparently that isn't challenging enough anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home