Sunday, January 22, 2006

Tapper

Oooh, check it out! The Tapper. Why didn't someone invent this sooner? How many times have I needed this? Dozens! It doesn't work 100% of the time, but it's so cool the remaining percent that you can overlook that. I tried to trip them up and tap out the theme song of The Simpsons, and it still got it! I want to know the process behind putting this together.

I got my first unexpected paycheck last night, for a whopping $23.65. Oh, yeah! I am still in a bit of trepidation about my income taxes this year, since I have no idea what to do. I have a nagging feeling that Carmike should have sent me something already, or that I should have turned something in.

Film recommendation: Junebug. We saw that as part of the Graduate Student film series and it was everything that Roger Ebert said it would be. Very funny; very good acting.

I checked out another few books on, ironically enough, excellent books to read. So now, adding to my previous dilemma, I have an even longer list than before. Last night I began reading Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point. It's very similar in style to Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking in that Gladwell has a strong tedancy to repeat his previous examples again and again throughout the book. It seems as if he thinks that we've forgotten them already. The Tipping Point is about social or economic situations in which small things lead up very quickly to a 'contagious' epidemic of popularity. He discussed the return of Hush Puppies shoes, the decline of crime in a Brooklyn area, and the spread of syphillis around Boston. Fun to read, save for that repetition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home