Friday, January 13, 2006

Soy Milk

I stumbled into the kitchen this morning eagerly awaiting my routine Frosted Mini Spooner cereal when I opened the refrigerator door and saw that those bastards that I call my roommates drank all but a fraction of an inch of my milk. And they drank all of their milk as well so I couldn't steal it. So I poured on this pathetic amount of milk that barely covered the bottom of the bowl, when I remembered that I had bought soy milk the last trip at Big Lots. Granted, Big Lots is the last place that I would willingly purchase any dairy, but the soy milk had an expiration date of like, two years from now. I took my chances.

The soy milk was not the color I expected. It was, as accurately as I could describe it, the color and clarity of slightly milky tea. Should I have been worried? I've never seen soy milk look like that before. Was it normal? My love of cereal won and I took my chances. If I didn't look at it, the taste was fine. I finished the bowl.

A couple minutes later, my throat and mouth started feeling funny, like really itchy when you have allergies. I was like, 'oh no. I've had this feeling before when I eat apples. Digestive upset is to follow'. And true enough, it did. The upper part of my stomach hurt so badly I had to lay down. Thankfully though, I didn't consume enough soy to really throw me out of whack so I was up again in awhile.

Possible thoughts on the cause:
1: I am allergic (or at least have a very low tolerance) for soy.
2: There was something wrong with the new bag of cereal.
3: I shouldn't trust anything from Big Lots. (Both the cereal and the soy milk were from Big Lots, coincidentially enough).


So I was relating this anecdote to Spanish Partner and I asked him if he ever experienced anything like the itchiness I get when I don't tolerate things.
"Oh yeah!" he said. "But not in my mouth. On my abdomen. It itched like crazy. I had a big rash. My mom thought it was shingles. So we went to the doctor and she told me that it was actually a yeast infection."

Augh! Augh! Augh! Oh god, this is worse than his father's anus. He is a pretty sizable rotund guy, so I can see how there would be moist, dark crevasses that yeasty things like to grow in, but god! Would you tell anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home