Monday, May 29, 2006

Trader Jack's

Naps can be terrible things. I'm up again at 2:00, as I have been for the last two weeks. I finished The Odyssey as well as The Canterbury Tales, and some fluff reading not worth mention. Oh, at Trader Jack's this morning I picked up several great finds. First there was a table with neat plates on it (retro '70's flower print) that were two for a quarter. Of course I bought them. We walked around for awhile in the stifling heat (Trader Jack's is not known for its shady trees) and then I bought a phone. No real reason, but the one up in my room is ancient. This is a cool, heavy black and gray number. Nearing the end of the visit, Thomas was occupied checking out this old camera and I, quickly bored, shuffled down the line. On one of the tables was a glass, hollow head! Completely clear, it apparently was used to model hats. Oh, I had to! She said ten dollars at first but I gave a little mournful look and got it down to eight. Then, over at the side, it said "$1 table". I was checking it out, and the lady was like "oh, you can just make it a whole bag for a dollar". Woo!

So I felt a little guilty, cause this whole table of stuff could have fit into one bag so I didn't want to seem greedy. I got salt and pepper shakers shaped like deer, two banks - one with something about Iowa on the front that's shaped like a suitcase and the other in the shape of a dirty Howard Johnsons. I tossed in this odd candleholder-like thing that is shaped like a ship's wheel, as well as this retro clock that she assured me still worked. Then I bought the glorious head.

Travis and I drove all the way to Regent Square to see Dr. Strangelove. It was one happening place! Surprisingly enough, most of the patrons there were seniors. As in, senior citizens. I sweet-talked the box attendant into giving me the student price although I didn't have ID (like she really cared) and then bought a black cherry beverage in an actual glass bottle since all the concessions were so cheap. Then I got a small popcorn because it smelled delicious and tasty (it was). Afterwards, we went to Wendy's and got Frosties. God, it's like I'm a starving person. The old folk were holding some question and answer seminar after the movie, presumably about the dangers of nuclear energy. Oh well.

I bought this CD at the Dollar Tree a long time ago called "Bookshop Classics". It claimed to have over 1000 titles on just one disk. Well, I'll buy anything for a dollar. So I finally loaded it today, and it's true! They have like, every book on there. However, you have to scroll down while reading it and my eyes hurt after awhile. But they have some neat things, like Ben Franklin's almanac(k)s from several different years, and the CIA handbook to guerilla warfare. Never know when you'll need that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home