Friday, March 24, 2006

Regression

Good lord. I am burrrrning.

In mock trial today I was a member of the jury in a case about negligence and HIV. One of the expert witnesses was a doctor of epidemiology. So the cross-examining attorney stands up, ambles over to his position, and says "Will you please state your name for the court."

"Dr. Potter," she replies.

"Are you married, Dr. Potter?"

"No, I am not."

(sarcastically) "Okay, Miss Potter, can you please answer a few questions for the jury?"

Oh, no he did not. Every female in the room had to have bristled at that one. The opposing counsel (two women) were too shocked to object. Did he think he was going to win the support of the jury with such a disrespectful introduction? Let me point out that not only was the judge in this case a woman, so is the professor who is ultimately giving his grade. I pointed out his assholery after class, and when I asked why he went that direction, he said "I was just trying to destroy her credibility."

My god! It gets worse! Now he thinks that he can reduce the standing of a doctor by bringing up the fact that she was a woman. Did he think that would work? Did he think that jury members would nod their heads sagely and go, "Wow, he's right. I didn't notice that she was female. She can't possibly have anything of value to say."

I am astounded that this kind of thinking continues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home