Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Lost Book

On the morning that I left for State College I had Thomas drive by the drop-off slot at the library. I had one stupid book to return that I couldn't even finish because it was so boring. The title was Racism, Misogyny, and the Othello Myth, and it was no better than how it sounds. Anyways, there's this older dude emptying out the box and he's really weird but takes the book and I think no more of it.

Until about a month later, when my library account shows that dumb book as being checked out still. What? So now I had all these theories about the mental competency of this old guy and why he would even want to read something like that. I just do nothing and hope it will turn up, which by the way is not a good course of action.

Fast forward! This morning, I went into the library in desperation to see what they would tell me to do. The girl at the check-out desk says that all I can do is fill out a Claims Form and they'll have someone check the stacks to see if it's there. Oh. Sounds really promising. They are going to devote so much interest to my one lost book. Right. She said that if they don't find it, I can just buy it off of amazon. com and replace it that way. Cool alternative.

So I check out half.com and amazon.com and the price is way more than I expected for one dumb paperpack. It's like, $20 at the cheapest, not to mention shipping and handling. A look at the library's policy on lost book shows that they add another $25.00 in addition to compensate for 'processing'. Dizamn! I refuse to spend over fifty bucks on this one lame book I know I returned. But, alas, what are my options?

Later this afternoon I had already received an email from the library. Wow, I said to myself, they send a lackey up to the call number and gee whiz, it's not there. Surprise.

It was a surprise.

Dear Patron:

I am writing to update you on the status of the book that you recently submitted a claims returned form for with the University Libraries. The item in question: Racism, Misogyny, and the Othello Myth (PN56.3.B55D35 2005) has been found and removed from your account. No fees have been charged to you for this item. Thank you for bringing this oversight to our attention. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have further questions regarding this book, please email me or contact the Circulation Desk at 865-5429.

Thank you for your time and patience in this matter.

Yes! Truth and justice prevail once more! A strike for liberty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home