Friday, February 24, 2006

Marathon Post

Every so often on the bus there's this older (about 45 years old) guy who always sits in the rows in the front that are sideways so that handicapped people have an easier time sitting down. I thought this was because he had some kind of disability, but I was wrong. Well, not really. He certainly has a social disability. He sits in those sideways seats so he is in better position to stare at people. After he establishes eye contact for greater than a second and a half he will immediately start talking to whoever was so unfortunate as to be staring off into space at the wrong angle.

I have to write the obligatory socially awkward pity sentence, about how it's sad that he rides this bus all day and people basically do everything they can to avoid looking at that half of the bus. But, damn! People aren't riding the bus to find their long-lost conversational partner. The only appropriate bus talk consists of a lot of 'excuse me's' and perhaps an offhand comment about the weather and only if the weather is extremely bad. I have seen so many people who didn't realize that he was sitting in front of them and then they looked like a deer in the headlights when he began to chatter. Cause, you know, you can't just get up and move. You're stuck.

Cornily enough, I am listening to David Hasselhoff's cover of "Hooked on a Feeling", and I must say, the catchiest part in the entire part is when he croons "Iiiii, hi yi, hi yi,'m (bomp! bomp!) hooked on a feeling!' God, I could play that one part all day. I really can't do it full justice in text.

I have been having the absolute wackiest dreams lately. I've mentioned my Mafia Family dream to a few people, and last night was no better. I was at Cornell University answering questions from a black professor and my responses included the term "collective unconscious". WTF, mate.

Hee. I was starting to stress since I didn't read the act that I was supposed to for my French Theatre class, and then breathed a sigh of relief since we had no assignment due to the midterm tomorrow. Careful what you wish for.

I started creating flash cards for los partes del cuerpo in Spanish, and damn! Those Spaniards are detailed. I even have one for 'inner ear'. My card stack is more than half an inch tall.

Now that I've begun the longest post in the world I can't very well stop now. On another language-related note, I've been considering seeing my French professor about a grammatical point, but I'm too embarrassed. Here's the quandry: in French, to say that it is necessary to do something you would say il faut que ... and then whatever was necessary to be done. However, after the que you have to use the subjunctive. I, sadly enough, don't know the first thing about how to make the subjunctive. I remember trying to learn it repeatedly and just getting bored. Whenever I have to say that something is necessary I just wheedle my way around it so the que never appears. That won't be able to go on forever, I fear.

I have a huuuuge stack of books and movies just itching to be picked up:

The Gospel according to the Simpsons : the spiritual life of the world's most animated family

Will in the world : how Shakespeare became Shakespeare



Ghost


Stay tuned : television's unforgettable moments


One foot on the floor : the curious evolution of sex on television from "I Love Lucy" to "South Park"

Lucy & Ricky & Fred & Ethel : the story of "I love Lucy"



So yeah, these aren't the most challenging of reads but at least they'll prove to be interesting.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home